Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Pickling Of The Bean

 Anyone who's spent 10 seconds with my wife during summer months knows that she's no fan of green beans. Just can't stand 'em. An anomaly? You bet, and something that has never failed to amaze me. In Charmé, bags(and I'm talking kilos) of green beans are offered freely and often this time of year, much to my pleasure as I can't eat enough of them. Friends, however, have taken to saying tongue-in-cheek, "Ça c'est pour Katie !" when handing me sacks full of the delicate haricot verts.
 So it caught my attention recently as she, deep into the pickling season, did a round of "flash" pickled... green beans! Baby carrots I could understand. Zucchini spears, beets, chillies, assorted summer squash? Sure. Different variations of cucumber, of course. But green beans?! As this shot implies, garlic and chili played a large role, as did tarragon. The result... Well, I'm biased. She will be doing plates of assorted pickled veg on the table to go with her French take on the picnic for the next pop-up(a.k.a. repas). Got a little sting below the ear for just writing that. Vinegar on the brain.

Recipes on request.
Chez Gautier Cooking School: http://www.chez-gautier.com

No comments:

Post a Comment